CHRISTMAS
It really stresses me out. Well ... let me rephrase that. It really stresses me out when I'm my usual self and I wait until the last minute to do everything I need to do and end up spending more than I intended to spend. This year, I am determined not to wait. (Ha ha.) But I've been thinking about it, and I think the real issue here is money. I don't really care about money, and as all of you know, I try to at least partially make most of my holiday gifts anyway. That's all well and good, except when the materials needed cost dollars. Even last year I took the lame route and baked a boat load of baked goods for Brad's family and close friends, and man, I probably spent $60 or more on groceries.
Therefore, I give up. I resign myself to the fact that the holidays will cost money, despite the good intentions I have of making things and cutting the budget down to its bare bones. I do recognize that I probably spent way less last year than I would have if I had bought everyone something. The year before, when I made Brad's family a bunch of alcohol-glass-filled candles, the whole shebang came out to about $40, probably a bit less. For 5 people? That's not bad, but I could have probably cut down the cost even more. Buying the wine and martini and margarita glasses at a thrift store may have helped (though I really did get them very cheaply, just a few dollars a piece). Checking fliers and waiting for the wax to be on sale. You know, stuff like that. Stuff that I figure I don't have time for.
So my conclusion is that despite the price tag attached to the holidays, the real solution is to spread the spending out. Not only will this cause less stress for me in getting things ready, but it may also save me a lot of money. For example, I found a coupon for Michael's that is 50% off one regular priced item. The trick is you have to be one person who uses one coupon per day on the days it's valid. So let's say, for example, that I planned on knitting socks for Brad's immediate family members this year. I will need 5 skeins of yarn for 5 pairs of socks. Perhaps going to Michael's every day for the next 5 days is asking too much of myself. (It is.) However, we have exactly 12 weeks left before Christmas. Should they continue to print said coupon on their weekly fliers once every two weeks, and I start now, I will pay exactly half of what I normally would with said coupons. Ta da! Brilliance, I tell you. Brilliance.
Today I looked at stencils at Michael's for a project I plan on doing for the children this year. Holy cats, they are expensive. The ones that I saw on clearance were $30. Each. So if I wanted to get like jungle animals and sea animals, I'd have to spend $60. On clearance. Isn't that ridiculous? I wouldn't even be able to use the coupon because it's already on sale. So I thought I'd go on ebay. Bam! 200 stencils for $10. Of course, they're only letters and numbers, so I'd have to look for different animal stencils, but still. The point is, paying retail never prospers. I did look up stencils I could print offline the other day, but my search wasn't very fruitful. I will have to keep looking on that one.
Nina posted this awesome idea on her blog this past week. I love it! I hope I didn't actually get rid of those sweaters I don't want anymore! (I probably did, though. I got rid of a lot of clothes before moving out of Pittsburgh.) This creative gal made a couple of old pillowcases into a cute apron. She even used her cheese grater as part of her pattern. I just love how creative people can be. This is what I think Christmas should be about. Not necessarily about scrounging because you're broke and everything costs money, but about recycling, reducing, and reusing. It should be about challenging ourselves to use the resources we already have in our own homes and spending the time and effort to make something special and thoughtful for the people we know and love.
Now I'd better go get started knitting 5 pairs of socks, so I'm not swamped come December.
Therefore, I give up. I resign myself to the fact that the holidays will cost money, despite the good intentions I have of making things and cutting the budget down to its bare bones. I do recognize that I probably spent way less last year than I would have if I had bought everyone something. The year before, when I made Brad's family a bunch of alcohol-glass-filled candles, the whole shebang came out to about $40, probably a bit less. For 5 people? That's not bad, but I could have probably cut down the cost even more. Buying the wine and martini and margarita glasses at a thrift store may have helped (though I really did get them very cheaply, just a few dollars a piece). Checking fliers and waiting for the wax to be on sale. You know, stuff like that. Stuff that I figure I don't have time for.
So my conclusion is that despite the price tag attached to the holidays, the real solution is to spread the spending out. Not only will this cause less stress for me in getting things ready, but it may also save me a lot of money. For example, I found a coupon for Michael's that is 50% off one regular priced item. The trick is you have to be one person who uses one coupon per day on the days it's valid. So let's say, for example, that I planned on knitting socks for Brad's immediate family members this year. I will need 5 skeins of yarn for 5 pairs of socks. Perhaps going to Michael's every day for the next 5 days is asking too much of myself. (It is.) However, we have exactly 12 weeks left before Christmas. Should they continue to print said coupon on their weekly fliers once every two weeks, and I start now, I will pay exactly half of what I normally would with said coupons. Ta da! Brilliance, I tell you. Brilliance.
Today I looked at stencils at Michael's for a project I plan on doing for the children this year. Holy cats, they are expensive. The ones that I saw on clearance were $30. Each. So if I wanted to get like jungle animals and sea animals, I'd have to spend $60. On clearance. Isn't that ridiculous? I wouldn't even be able to use the coupon because it's already on sale. So I thought I'd go on ebay. Bam! 200 stencils for $10. Of course, they're only letters and numbers, so I'd have to look for different animal stencils, but still. The point is, paying retail never prospers. I did look up stencils I could print offline the other day, but my search wasn't very fruitful. I will have to keep looking on that one.
Nina posted this awesome idea on her blog this past week. I love it! I hope I didn't actually get rid of those sweaters I don't want anymore! (I probably did, though. I got rid of a lot of clothes before moving out of Pittsburgh.) This creative gal made a couple of old pillowcases into a cute apron. She even used her cheese grater as part of her pattern. I just love how creative people can be. This is what I think Christmas should be about. Not necessarily about scrounging because you're broke and everything costs money, but about recycling, reducing, and reusing. It should be about challenging ourselves to use the resources we already have in our own homes and spending the time and effort to make something special and thoughtful for the people we know and love.
Now I'd better go get started knitting 5 pairs of socks, so I'm not swamped come December.
My sister and her husband (Brandi & Glenn) made the cutest candles last year - white wax in bell jars, red marbles on the bottom, tied with a green bow. I still haven't burned ours because it looks cute in our living room. My sister-in-law (Tabitha) decoupaged bell jars with sparkly tissue paper and gave us tea candles with them. They're really cool, too. I like to knit bookmarks and pot-holders because they're so quick (though I don't think mine look that great). One year I cut felt into bookmark shape and embroidered them. I'm kinda proud of those. It's so much fun to make stuff, but you're right, sometimes it can be expensive, too. Some of the afghans I made for my family were super expensive. I'd rather get a small handmade gift than anything else...except for money. I don't mind money.
ReplyDeleteIf you build off of what you did the year before, you do not have to spend as much on supplies. It also helps if you shop throughout the year for supplies (then you do have time to watch the sale fliers, etc).
ReplyDeleteMy problem with Christmas has been how consumer-based it has become. It is too easy to just buy some trinket for someone (whether you know them well or not). All too often, we Americans just don't think about the person we're buying for and hope it's something they like, but then everyone just ends up trading it in or re-gifting. My effort to create a homemade Christmas over the last couple years is to put more thought into what I give and to whom.
Just don't give gifts. Bam! Saved a bundle. ;-) I am exceedingly glad we Vaughans don't gift on a regular basis. Occasionally, the grandkids get something fun, since sometimes that is the only time they are together, but other than that, we don't bother much. Mom loves to get one new game for everyone to ply together too. I know, sort of lame. But we all get together and play a lot of games and stuff and I think presents would actually add stress and frustration more than joy and delight. I know, I know, I am a minority here. :-) Go you! frugal girl! Have fun knitting socks. I am DETERMINED to learn how to knit sometime....
ReplyDeleteWell, I agree we should all live more consciously, like recycling, reducing, reusing, but on an everyday basis. I think Christmas and birthdays are a special occasion and I like new non-handmade things then b/c I can't usually afford those sorts of things. It's a special treat to get a new gift. I think writing lists of what we want reduces our returning or re-gifting, so that's not so much an issue w/ our family. And I think that making handmade things for handmade's sake is just as wasteful as buying some new that someone didn't necessarily ask for. I don't wear aprons, I won't use handmade potholders, etc. But I will use a tea cozy and Mom's bullet proof mittens. So in my opinion, handmade is nice, but only when it's needed. Otherwise, it's just as thoughtless and meaningless as a store bought gift they don't want. In my opinion.
ReplyDeleteThat's good to know and I will certainly keep that in mind.
ReplyDelete