The Solanco Fair Parade

Now, I'm warning you right off the bat that this post may be too exciting for some people. Please, if you have a heart condition or are prone to fainting fits, I beg you, proceed with caution.

Yesterday, Dad and I went to the fair in town because it was the first day and they were having a parade. It was dumb of us not to walk. But we didn't, and we ended up having to park in the church parking lot and slipping treacherously down this hill:

The flash makes it look super dark out. But it wasn't quite this dark yet.
Here we are at the beginning of the parade. I don't know who this is.

Nice big list of parade sponsors, being pulled by a tractor, and many people waving.

A very honky firetruck. We were on the corner. The last two pictures were taken after the vehicles had turned the corner, this one is the shot down the main road before they turned.

I really don't know what most of these floats were for. But there were only a few floats, so I took pictures of them all.

Woohoo! Marching band!


The daycare float.

These girls were dancing and things, but unfortunately I only caught them running around the corner.

Oh yeah! Man dressed up as a grocery bag with a steak hanging out the top! I think at this point I texted Brad with a photo and told him this was the exciting life in his future.

These things lit up and were sparkly, but you can't really tell from the picture.

AND the junior high band.

Get smart, go green! Dad and I were probably the only people who cheered for this.

A barbershop quartet singing "Goodbye, My Coney Island Baby."

An infinite number of tractors. About this point Dad and I decided the best was probably done with.

He offered to carry my chair while I took pictures of the climb uphill. I was triumphant to be correct in my assumption that parking the church parking lot would be a safe bet. I was banking on them not towing us or stealing my purse.

So there you have it. Our handouts included pencils and they were also handing out lots of apples on one float, but they were going fast and the people had to refill their baskets by the time they got to us. But one little girl, who was about a year or 18 months old, got one and it went straight from the guy's hand to her mouth. Bam! She knew what to do with that apple! Pretty cute. I'm meeting my friend Eileen tomorrow at the fairgrounds to witness the celebrity milking contest! I hear last year they got the library director to participate, so this year should be even more exciting.

Hey, all right. I saw this today from Vegetarian Times. It's a list of vegan baking substitutes! How cool is that! It does do an annoying thing where they talk about not killing animals and not stealing milk from baby cows and the like, but it's nice to have the list of substitutes.

Comments

  1. Celebrity milking contest! Ha! That's awesome. This reminds me of the parades we have here in the U.P.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love parades. Great people watching opportunity. And the grocery bag man? Fabulous! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to hear about the milking contest. Sounds like an easy fun filled day.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No, it's just sad really.

30 for 30

The reality of "Twilight"