Rain, rain, go away.

Today is our third (and a half) day of rain. It's been a little better than the last two, because it's actually stopped raining at a couple of different points today. For the last two, there was literally no break. Although it's slowed down a bit here and there, it was consistently coming down in some form of drizzle or total downpour. In truth, I don't mind. I like the rain. I was born during a thunderstorm, and I always sleep better when it's raining. I think I slept something like 13 hours night before last. Pretty insane, really. I remember one time in college I worked with this guy who, after I said I liked the rain, replied with, "Do you like the paint and write poetry in the rain?" I was kind of bewildered by this question (I was not yet a poet at this point), until he explained that he had had a babysitter when he was a kid who went to the same college I did and she, apparently, did like to do those things when it rained. Now I guess he assumes every girl who went/goes to Chatham does. More annoying than that assumption was the condescending tone with which he used to describe this poor girl. Like only misanthropes and weirdos behaved this way. 

So anyway. Not too much is new here. I haven't been feeling amazingly well these past couple of mornings. Nothing major, but I woke up a little stuffed up and this morning my throat was a bit sore, too. This is weird for me, because though I was sick frequently as a child, I am very rarely sick now. I think the last time I was sick was probably two years ago after the beach, and before that it was probably another three years. However, I was in Pittsburgh this past weekend with Brad, who was sick, and I am going to get really mad if the sore throat turns into a full-fledged head cold. I'm taking precautions though (drinking lots of Breathe Easy tea and taking homeopathy and colloidal silver), so fingers crossed, everyone!

Some photos from the last month or so.

Our latest crop from the garden. Well, this is actually probably the crop from like 3 weeks ago. But I've got about 12 more eggplants on the way (they're taking longer to mature than they used to in the intense heat; nightshades like that hot, Mediterranean weather) and several more zukes. Notice the red peppers! I'm most proud of them. I got about three more and chopped them all up to put in the freezer for the winter. Mom made stuffed peppers with some of the green (or immature red) ones. We were also super lucky with the second picking of raspberries. I was unaware that would happen, so just imagine my surprise.

My plants came inside the garage for Hurricane Whatever-it-was a couple weeks ago. Irene, I guess. The Weather Channel and (therefore,) Mom were convinced it was going to be the worst thing in the world, and the whole town was going to float away into oblivion, but it turned out to be about only 12 hours of steady rain, and every tree lost about 1/3rd of its leaves. A couple branches here and there, and maybe the odd tree fell somewhere. Frankly, far less impressive than the weather we're having currently. I fully expect to have no garden at all by the time it's supposed to clear up Thursday night. But anyway, I thought the plants looked all cute on the freezer like that. The fish jug is a present from my friends Adrienne and James, whom I helped move out of their place the day before Irene came to visit. I guess it gurgles (or is supposed to gurgle) when you pour water out of it. They hated it. I said it would nice for a garden, so to prove my stellar point, I've taken a picture of it it here, among the lush greenery, where I do believe it looks quite at home.

By the way, that chest freezer is from the 70's and still going strong. Seriously, it's that amazing, as either of my parents is willing to tell you at a moment's notice. Also, now you all know my dad's phone number in case you ever need any handy-manning.

A nice bouquet. I think Mom picked this one, with the last flowers of summer. (*SOB!*)

My successful shopping trip with Mom today included the health food store. How awesome is this?!? I'm especially excited about the fakin' bacon. Mary used it at her work to make vegan wraps, and I had one this year when I was up there for Easter. It was truly awe-inspiring. So I went right ahead and indulged. I'm also interested to try the Tofurkey Italian sausage. Mom is making tortellini soup this week and I can't be left out on that goodness.

Also on the menu tonight... oatmeal raisin cookies. Mom said to me, "DON'T EAT THE COOKIES." I thought that maybe she had made a mistake, put salt instead of sugar or something, but it turns out they were just so amazing she was sparing me the trouble of becoming hooked. Fortunately for her, "hooked" on food is something different for me than it is for other people. Especially if it's a baked good including raisins.

I'll post my exciting recipes and pictures when I make yumminess with my new vegan stuffs. Stay dry, kids!

Comments

  1. Mom thought Irene was pretty much going to alter our lives forever as well. Not so much. Still, it was a nice rainy Sunday!
    All the produce, plants, and cookies look yummy. I have to admit that I am hesitant about fakin bacon and tofurkey. Let me know how they taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've had that brand of tempeh - very good! (:

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No, it's just sad really.

30 for 30

The reality of "Twilight"