I know you've all been waiting with baited breath to see what the celebrity milking contest was like. Super exciting, let me tell you! I met my friend Eileen from college at the fair (she grew up in this county and now lives with her parents a few miles away) around 3 pm and we hung out until 5 pm, when the contest was.
 |
| First up, pig pen place with lots of big fat pigs. |
 |
| Eileen likes pigs. |
 |
| Tandy and Oreo the cows. |
 |
| More heifers. |
 |
| What lovely young cow you have there, Mr. Cellphone Man. |
 |
| Aw! Little goats. They didn't have any big ones. Just little ones. |
 |
| This, my friends, is an angora rabbit. Aren't they the weirdest looking things in the world?? |
 |
| And then I took 72 more pictures of rabbits. They are just so doggone cute! |
 |
| Hehe. Look at that little face. |
 |
| Sheeeeeeeps. |
 |
| For you, Nina!! |
 |
| These flowers were award-winning, kids. |
 |
| And so were all these veggies. |
 |
| I had to take a picture of the Stillers cake. |
|
 |
| Someone was going for extra brownie points. |
 |
| Pumpkins get so weirdly shaped when they get huge, don't they? |
 |
| Modeling the corn stalks. |
 |
| These little ducklings get dumped in the bin (rather rudely, I thought) and then they waddle up that little ramp, take a piece of grain and woooooo! slide down the slide into the pool. Haha! Adorable. |
 |
| Our milking contest "celebrities"! Before you get excited, that's a senator to the state senate. Not the federal one. Fran is the library director defending her title, and Marla is Miss Solanco Fair. |
 |
| Here's "Babyface" Brian Cutler, as Mom kept calling him (he did look rather young, I suppose), and the Senator dueling it out. |
 |
| This cow didn't like the Senator. She kept trying to kick him, so he had to hold the bucket up. |
 |
| Go, Brian, go! |
 |
| This guy in the hat weighs everyone's bucket and whomever has the most milk goes against the second winner. Brian won this round. By a long shot. |
 |
| Miss Marla Solanco Fair, who was about 15. I was clearly sitting in the middle of her cheering section. At one point the guy next to Eileen starting yelling "Aldernate, aldernate!" at the top of his lungs. (Not alternate, mind you, no. Aldernate.) Evidently this was very hilarious. There was also a little boy behind us who kept yelling, "Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrla!!" Wow, that was annoying. |
 |
| This was the best shot I could get of Fran the Library Director. Who won this round. |
 |
| Weighing it in! |
 |
| Hey! Mom and Dad came! |
 |
| Now Brian and Fran race each other. |
 |
| Representative Brian Cutler is the big winner! |
 |
| Acceptance speech, in which he thanked all his sponsors and then said, no in all seriousness, thanks for everyone who made this possible, this is such a great fair. What a politician. I don't know that he actually won anything, though. But Eileen and I scored some pretty sweet pencils and writing pads from his booth in the local business tent. |
 |
| After the milking contest we went to get some french fries, which was a very frustrating process due to the lack of lines, and then Eileen had to go. So Mom and Dad and I walked around and saw everything (again for me). Mom spotted an award-winning can of peaches with her friend's name on it! |
 |
| And finally elephant ears (which are beaver tails, for those of you who grew up in the North Country), and funnel cakes. |
Today is very, very rainy. I haven't even dressed yet, actually. I'm still wearing yoga pants, wrapped up here in a comforter, writing and listening to Brian Crain, who is my new musical love. I am definitely a classical music kind of gal. I like other kinds of music too, but I would rather listen to classical. The Adagio Con Amore movement of Crain's
Symphony no.1 is so awesome. I also love many of his piano pieces, such as the
Butterfly Waltz, but as I put on facebook, I see it will be in the new Twilight movie, which makes me so very angry, because I despise Twilight. They already stole my favorite,
Clair de Lune by Debussy, and if they take the guitar solo of
Ave Maria by Bach (arranged by Gounod), then I'll be really, really mad. As a side note, the
guitar solo of Clair de Lune is also very lovely, though I still prefer the piano.
Maybe I'll go get some more tea.
I have an angora bunny on order - a black one w/ a white nose.
ReplyDeleteYou do?! That's exciting!
ReplyDeleteAn annnnngora bunny! Yo, Babyface Cutler is the only Republican I have ever voted for. He's got some weird views on welfare, but he's a decent dude. Big supporter of midwives. Hopefully he doesn't go the way of the usual politician. Him winning the milking competition probably won him some Amish votes (if they vote, which most do not). Looks like fun! I've never been to the Solanco Fair, but all PA fairs are lamer than NY simply b/c they have no rides and no midway. What the heck!
ReplyDeleteOreo, ha, ha! I've never heard of beaver tails...
ReplyDeleteOh, Lesley! Have you never been to Winterlude? At least you know what poutine is, or I'd have a heart attack right her and now. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BeaverTails
ReplyDeleteThanks for the fair milking contest play-by-play! This made my Monday morning at work! (:
ReplyDelete