Happy Beltane!
So on Sunday night, I realized that yesterday (Monday) was the last day of April, and I had only completed 1 of my 30 acts of kindness. This simply would not do! I have to complete at least 2 every month, and 3 on some months, to finish on time. So I picked out #4 (Place
little happy notes in random books at the library) to squeeze in at the last minute.
When I was writing my 30 for 30 list, I wanted to do this act of kindness particularly because of my own experience. Once, when I was in graduate school, a professor of mine lent me a book which someone had filled with little handwritten notes. The handwriting didn't match my professors, so the author remains unknown. It was probably another student to whom she had also lent the manuscript. The papers were quotes from the book they were in, quotes from other books, and just random thoughts the writer had had. I felt like I had stumbled upon something so secret and sacred, that each one was something super special. I mean, someone had taken the time to actually write these thoughts down, by hand, and place them inside a book. I felt like I needed to treat them with such respect; here were all the things in the world that really meant something to that person, and he/she had left them behind to share with others. They were such an inspiration to me. I hope that when the people who open these books and find the quotes that I've placed there find some inspiration as well.
The days continue to get longer, and the springtime is officially here. I planted my vegetable plants in the garden today. Pictures to follow!
| Some lucky person who next picks up a copy of The Help gets to enjoy a nice little peaceful quote on enlightenment. |
When I was writing my 30 for 30 list, I wanted to do this act of kindness particularly because of my own experience. Once, when I was in graduate school, a professor of mine lent me a book which someone had filled with little handwritten notes. The handwriting didn't match my professors, so the author remains unknown. It was probably another student to whom she had also lent the manuscript. The papers were quotes from the book they were in, quotes from other books, and just random thoughts the writer had had. I felt like I had stumbled upon something so secret and sacred, that each one was something super special. I mean, someone had taken the time to actually write these thoughts down, by hand, and place them inside a book. I felt like I needed to treat them with such respect; here were all the things in the world that really meant something to that person, and he/she had left them behind to share with others. They were such an inspiration to me. I hope that when the people who open these books and find the quotes that I've placed there find some inspiration as well.
The days continue to get longer, and the springtime is officially here. I planted my vegetable plants in the garden today. Pictures to follow!
Fun! I would have a lot of fun doing this. But I think the quotes you used are probably more beneficial than mine would be. hahaha I would be using knock-knock jokes or something equally unserious and enriching.. :-)
ReplyDeleteI am still so inspired by your list and resolve! (:
ReplyDeleteI love hand writing. It really is going by the wayside and it makes me sad. Great post! Also, I have been thinking of you today for several reasons:
ReplyDelete1. I just bought Pride and Prejudice the BBC version for $13 on amazon. Uh, that's unheard of!
2. Jane Austen would approve of online dating, so I'm told http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/story/2012-05-01/jane-austen-online-dating-match/54668658/1?sf4101177=1
3. "The way is not in the sky. The way is in the heart." ~Buddha. That came in my inbox today via the Happiness Project.
Thanks, Stephanie! Interesting article, and I love the quote. Congrats on your awesome deal! I <3 Amazon deals :)
DeleteThe copy of Half Blood Prince that I read had had-written notes in the margins, but they were spoilers, most fake, some real. For instance, "Ron and Hermione hook up" and "Snape is the Half Blood Prince." It was super-annoying! Not like your notes. Your notes are so cool! I envy the people who will find them. (I think I'll do some for myself and hide them in books that I have at home that I've been planning to read but never do.)
ReplyDeleteOh, Holly, that is the WORST! What a meanie that person is. I'm sure they thought they were being funny or something, but ... not cool, man. Not cool. I love your idea of leaving yourself notes for a later date, too. I might steal it!
Delete