October
Well, here it is October, and I've had a great month off. I also had so many plans to post a blog post in September. Ah well. The problem being that I took my dad's camera to take some photos, and now that camera has gone away somewhere unfindable. So that stinks, because there were pictures of the care packages I sent out on that camera, so instead, you'll just have to settle for a few photos of baby blankets and pasta.
First off, happy Vegetarian Month! If you don't already, this month might be a good time to consider doing Meatless Mondays. It's better for the environment, it's healthier for you, and it's easy as pie, what with hundred of internet recipes at your fingertips. I've been cooking a few things this month, including this wonderful Quinoa and Bean Pilaf, which was truly amazing, and my dear friend Joey's comfort food vegan stew. Today, when Nina came home from work for lunch, I'd prepared some mushroom and tortellini in a red pepper (from the garden!) cream sauce for her. It was quite tasty.
The recipe for this dish is as follows: roast and peel some red peppers using this recipe from Ina Garten (it takes some time, so you can do this the night before or in the morning or whatever). I did two little ones and one big one. Cook tortellini according to package directions. Chop up one small onion and two cloves of garlic. Saute onion in a tablespoon of olive oil for a minute or two, add garlic, and one large package of mushrooms (I used baby bellas). While the mushrooms cook, puree the red peppers in the blender or food processor. Add pureed peppers to mushrooms and onions; mix together, add 1/4 cup half and half. Salt and pepper to taste. Add tortellini and mix. Bam. Done.
So my 30 for 30 includes two new accomplishments in September. One of them was sending out care packages, as mentioned above, which I can't show you right now. I will though, as soon as that little bugger of a camera shows up again. The other is a baby blanket that I crocheted for a co-worker of mine who had a baby shower on the 23rd of September. She is a very sweet girl, and is from the Ukraine, so she has very few friends and family in the area. I wanted to make sure to go to her shower and get her some necessities. Here is the blanket I finished for her.
It was a little crooked; I'm not going to lie. This one took me forever. I wasn't happy with the way it turned out, but I had already ripped a good portion of it out to start again, so I just finished it. I know probably no one will really notice that one end is about 3 or 4 stitched wider than the other. I hope no one will notice anyway. Here is my friend Kate (or Kateryna, as is her real name) opening the gift.
She looks happy. She is a very happy pregnant woman. I also included some outlet covers and some drawer hook/lock things. You all know what I'm talking about. Those annoying things grown-ups hate on the inside of cabinets and drawers.
I have a few more RAKs (random acts of kindness: I'm going to use that again, so don't forget) planned for this months, so stay tuned!
First off, happy Vegetarian Month! If you don't already, this month might be a good time to consider doing Meatless Mondays. It's better for the environment, it's healthier for you, and it's easy as pie, what with hundred of internet recipes at your fingertips. I've been cooking a few things this month, including this wonderful Quinoa and Bean Pilaf, which was truly amazing, and my dear friend Joey's comfort food vegan stew. Today, when Nina came home from work for lunch, I'd prepared some mushroom and tortellini in a red pepper (from the garden!) cream sauce for her. It was quite tasty.
The recipe for this dish is as follows: roast and peel some red peppers using this recipe from Ina Garten (it takes some time, so you can do this the night before or in the morning or whatever). I did two little ones and one big one. Cook tortellini according to package directions. Chop up one small onion and two cloves of garlic. Saute onion in a tablespoon of olive oil for a minute or two, add garlic, and one large package of mushrooms (I used baby bellas). While the mushrooms cook, puree the red peppers in the blender or food processor. Add pureed peppers to mushrooms and onions; mix together, add 1/4 cup half and half. Salt and pepper to taste. Add tortellini and mix. Bam. Done.
So my 30 for 30 includes two new accomplishments in September. One of them was sending out care packages, as mentioned above, which I can't show you right now. I will though, as soon as that little bugger of a camera shows up again. The other is a baby blanket that I crocheted for a co-worker of mine who had a baby shower on the 23rd of September. She is a very sweet girl, and is from the Ukraine, so she has very few friends and family in the area. I wanted to make sure to go to her shower and get her some necessities. Here is the blanket I finished for her.
It was a little crooked; I'm not going to lie. This one took me forever. I wasn't happy with the way it turned out, but I had already ripped a good portion of it out to start again, so I just finished it. I know probably no one will really notice that one end is about 3 or 4 stitched wider than the other. I hope no one will notice anyway. Here is my friend Kate (or Kateryna, as is her real name) opening the gift.
She looks happy. She is a very happy pregnant woman. I also included some outlet covers and some drawer hook/lock things. You all know what I'm talking about. Those annoying things grown-ups hate on the inside of cabinets and drawers.
I have a few more RAKs (random acts of kindness: I'm going to use that again, so don't forget) planned for this months, so stay tuned!

You are the BEST! That was a great surprise lunch! Thanks, pal!
ReplyDeleteThe blanket looks beautiful!
ReplyDelete