Wabi-Sabi #12
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
12. Cultivate Simplicity. Less stuff means more time to spend with family, friends and nature — a philosophy simple enough for even the most complicated lives.
Holy cats, this is taking me forever. But this is the last one! This month I was thrilled to read an article about Wabi Sabi in my Shambhala Sun magazine that I'm forever going on about. It is a very Buddhist philosophy, I guess, the thought of finding perfection in imperfect things. As Thich Nhat Hanh says, “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.” I'm imperfect. I won't ever be perfect. But I can learn to love myself as much as I love anything else in this world, and therefore, be beautiful.
Every time I move, I'm always dismayed at the amount of things I have. Why do I have so much crap? Do I really need all this stuff? Nope. I don't. That's the simple truth of it. Sometimes when my parents or sister are talking to me, I'm on the computer. Why do I not just put down the computer and listen? When I catch myself, I do. Less stuff. Less stimulation. Less distraction. More being here.
Holy cats, this is taking me forever. But this is the last one! This month I was thrilled to read an article about Wabi Sabi in my Shambhala Sun magazine that I'm forever going on about. It is a very Buddhist philosophy, I guess, the thought of finding perfection in imperfect things. As Thich Nhat Hanh says, “To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don’t need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself.” I'm imperfect. I won't ever be perfect. But I can learn to love myself as much as I love anything else in this world, and therefore, be beautiful.
Every time I move, I'm always dismayed at the amount of things I have. Why do I have so much crap? Do I really need all this stuff? Nope. I don't. That's the simple truth of it. Sometimes when my parents or sister are talking to me, I'm on the computer. Why do I not just put down the computer and listen? When I catch myself, I do. Less stuff. Less stimulation. Less distraction. More being here.
- Get link
- X
- Other Apps
I really love that Thich Nhat Hanh quote. I'm always going on and on about how everyone else is beautiful no matter their size or imperfections. In fact, I love imperfections. Little scars or asymmetrical features, I'm totally down with. I think they add character and make people more attractive. I know you're not just talking physical here, but I need to start thinking of myself the way I think of others. If I think bellies are cute, why am I so ashamed of my own?
ReplyDeleteIndeed! I always think about that. I think, I don't think that person's fat, and she obviously weighs more than I do. So why do I hate my own weight so much?
DeleteJust saw this and thought of you: http://remodelista.com/posts/a-wabi-sabi-ski-chalet-in-aspen-colorado!
ReplyDelete