The beach is my favorite place, hands down. If my Scandinavian/British skin would let me, I'd be lying out in the sun all day, every day. Unfortunately, I burn. Also unfortunately, I did burn both times I was at the beach this summer. I forget how painful burning is, as I've been very careful and haven't in several years. I didn't burn badly these times, either, but just enough that it's uncomfortable for a day or two. But I live far enough away from the beach that spending more than a few days there every year is also impossible. This year, I was lucky enough to go for two days, once with Nina while my parents were away, and once with all four of us. I've meshed together the pictures, so these are from two beach days, collectively.
 |
| This is probably the most exciting part: doing a 30 for 30! Here Nina is clearly handing the toll woman $4 instead of $2, to pay for the car behind us. Nina was super excited about this one. We tried to drive away slowly enough to see the reaction of the people behind us, but we were too far away. But they didn't just roll through; they stopped and talked to the lady for a minute, so there was obviously some kind of discussion going on. If only we could have heard! #3 = knocked off the list. It was fun. :-) |
 |
| Here is a picture of me on our first beach day. I'm not allowed to post pictures of Nina, so I guess you'll have to settle for just me. |
 |
| We settled right next to this strange drain thing, and we were apparently not allowed to swim near it. We didn't know that, and just went into the water, prompting the lifeguard to get up and blow her whistle about a hundred times without actually saying anything. Finally, a woman came over and told us there were two flags on either side that we were supposed to stay on the other side of. It was nice of her to do this, as we would never have figured out why that stupid lazy lifeguard was being so obnoxious. |
 |
| It was not as sunny that day as the second day. It threatened for a good part of the day, and then actually did start to rain around 4 pm, so we left the beach and went to eat, which worked out quite perfectly. |
 |
| Our little spot in the sand. |
 |
| Second beach day. I was trying to get a picture of the surf, as this was high tide. Regrettably, this young fellow decided to plop himself down in the sand right as I was snapping the shot. I took several more, but this one ended up being the best of the bunch, if you can believe it. |
 |
| I believe this picture has been pre-approved. Salt water does cute things with her hair! |
 |
| Mom meditates on the beach. |
 |
| Those are my funky new glasses that I got at the WaWa or Sheets or something on the way down. |
 |
| This is a pod of dolphins. They were much better in real life, because they swam all the way along the coast for several minutes. On the camera, they look much lamer. I wonder how that guy's iPad video turned out. If you click on the photo to enlarge, you can see their little fins waaaaaaay out there. |
 |
| This looks like a picture of that (incredibly annoying) guy's foot, but it's actually a picture of that woman's very serious blue hat. It was huge. |
 |
No trip to Rehoboth, DE is complete without a stop at Go Fish, the best fish and chip shop in the U.S. See how pumped we are??
 |
 |
| Some of the clever decor. |
 |
| The main event. |
 |
| This is the Prince William's groom cake, which I can assure you, is very delicious. It's a fudgey chocolate on top of some wafers with a raspberry sauce. |
 |
| And the toffee pudding. I am not a huge fan of toffee, usually, but this was absolutely scrumptious. |
 |
| Mmmmmm! |
 |
| Goodbye, beach! We'll see you again next year! |
That 30 for 30 was probably one of the highlights of my summer. It's addicting! From then on, I wanted to pay for people behind me! So fun! Too bad we couldn't see/hear their reaction. I bet it was great.
ReplyDeleteAnd thanks for not posting horrible pics of me. And I would like some Prince William Groom's Cake right now. And fish and chips. And the beach.
I've made a version of Prince Williams's cake, and it was delicious! I hate being in the sun, so I can't share in your beach euphoria, but I'm glad you all had fun!
ReplyDeleteHey! Here I am three weeks later just reading this. I really liked this whole post. I never, ever have lived near enough to the beach to go for the day. So I have no concept of the fabulousness of it. But I am glad I got to see the beach through you guys. I loved the huge hat. And Go Fish. And the dolphin pods. And all you guys. Tell Nina to get over herself. She is gorgeous.
ReplyDelete