The World as a Whole

Today Julio, one of my students, said to me, "Miss, do you know Taoism?" He pronounced the t like a t, instead of a d, like it's supposed to be said. I said I did, and that I mostly considered myself a Taoist. He said he had to write 10 facts about Taoism for his homework and asked me if I would help him. I was overjoyed.

Julio said that he had 5 facts already; one was that the symbol of Taoism is a yin-yang. I said that was right, and that it stood for balance. Sam, my other student, who was sitting next to him, said, "It represents good and bad." I said that good and bad were opinions, and that Taoist try to stay away from those terms because they're arbitrary. And then Sam said something interesting. He said, "But my teacher says that you can't have light without dark." I said, "Yes, that's true. But light isn't good and dark isn't bad." Sam looked confused. He said, "But that's what everyone says." I replied, "Yes, sometimes people don't understand and they need to define everything, to put it inside a box. But you don't have to be one of those people, Sammy. You can see the world as a whole."

This story doesn't have a point. I was just so thrilled that Julio and I were able to work together on this project that is so dear to my heart. I don't know if what I said will make sense to them or if they'll ever understand what I mean, but maybe someday when they're older they'll remember and think about it some more. I hope one day they can both see the world as a whole.

Comments

  1. I love this little story. You are being the Tao. Hrm...maybe I am a Taoist, too? This sounds a lot like me, but I usually say that I am nothing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't normally say I was a Taoist either, honestly. It just seemed right at the time. I usually say I'm nothing, nothing too.

      Delete
  2. Oh, that makes this story even better!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great they are introducing children to other religions and beliefs, so that they have a wider knowledge of what is out there besides Christianity. It seems school was so narrowed in on only that when I was young. With Tucker, I am teaching him a bit of everything at home. We started with the Bible(a simple, illustrated version, and now we will move on to other faiths and beliefs. I want him to understand the common theme among religions- that everybody is simply worshiping a higher power,whatever beliefs come with it. When somebody asks him what he is, I'd like it to be "everything"(kind of your opposite, lol) . To have an understanding of what makes others tick is essential to growing. I want him to believe that anything you believe in is what is true, because you make it so. It is ultimately we that are the force.I do like Taoist beliefs. Maybe we'll do that next.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No, it's just sad really.

30 for 30

The reality of "Twilight"