All beings and I awaken together.
Last night on PBS there was a program on the Buddha. I must have been destined to see it, because Brad's mother told him to tell me to watch it, which might not sound that strange, but it was kind of unusual. I don't think she knew I like Buddhism, or any kind of spirituality for that matter. But anyway, I'm so glad that I did watch it, because it was amazing. What an incredible person he was. In fact, I think this warrants another moving moment.
Moving Moment #4
Probably the biggest help for me when I was going through a hard time in my life was the Tao Te Ching. It was so abstract at times it didn't even make much sense. But yet I felt like I really understood what it was trying to say; Let nature be your guide. Be a part of the world, and don't strive to be such an individual. Be a part, and you can become whole. My favorite quote from the Tao (in reference to the Master): "Things arise and she lets them come. Things disappear and she lets them go." How simple it seemed! To let things go when they disappeared, with such simplicity, with such ease. This is what I began to strive for. Letting things arise and go as they came into my life and left. I feel like I've really forgotten this goal in the last few years. I've been trying to force my life in a direction. It hasn't been working. I'm no nearer to the things I desire than I was 5 years ago. But I haven't forgotten them. And I haven't forgotten what I want to be. And the truth is, the only thing that I really, truly desire is to be in harmony and at peace with the earth, and all beings. All I really want is to enjoy the sunshine and the trees and the plants and wake up every day grateful for the life that has been given to me. On the program last night about the Buddha, there was one part that really spoke to me. After the Buddha had left his wife and child behind, he learned to meditate and mastered the skills of taming his mind, because this is how holy men of the time learned to be holy. Yet he still felt sorrow, and his life goal was to get rid of this suffering, to end all heartbreak. But he didn't know how. Meditation didn't helped him with this. So he inflicted suffering upon himself. He basically tortured himself for six years trying to find a way out of his endless cycle of suffering. But this didn't help either. In fact he felt way worse and now he was on the brink of death, too. But then something happened. He sat under a tree and remembered when he was young, he saw some ants crawling along the ground. He realized, perhaps for the first time in his life, that all things are connected. Even the baby ants wondering around are a part of this great life cycle we are all a part of: even they serve a purpose in this life. They live because the world has made it possible for them to live, and they feed other animals, who in turn, feed other animals. The sun shines for us all. And at that moment, while he sat meditating, a girl came to him with a bowl of mashed rice. He accepted it, for the first time in 6 years he accepted food without necessity. In essence, he chose life. And this girl became something more than just a girl; finally he realized that this offering was the answer to his suffering: compassion. Life isn't about making yourself suffer more until you can't feel it any longer. And it isn't about your desire for something more, some other material things. Life is about here and now. Everything we need, right here, in this room. The answer to life isn't preparing for the future, or acquiring things, or becoming revered as a great or successful human being. The answer to life is these ants on the ground and the birds in the sky. It's seeing that you're a part of all life, that we are all bonded together. It's seeing someone who is starving to death, and saying, here, eat. If ever there was a goal in my life, this would be it. To be this girl, who did not know she had inspired the greatest spiritual mind of that generation to become who he was destined to be. All she knew was that clearly, he was starving, and she had food. She was able to give him some rice, and because of that, she helped give the world a great leader. This is all I want. To give something small, every day. I want to be this girl with the bowl of rice, who says, here. I see your suffering. Please, share this with me. Eat.
Moving Moment #4
Probably the biggest help for me when I was going through a hard time in my life was the Tao Te Ching. It was so abstract at times it didn't even make much sense. But yet I felt like I really understood what it was trying to say; Let nature be your guide. Be a part of the world, and don't strive to be such an individual. Be a part, and you can become whole. My favorite quote from the Tao (in reference to the Master): "Things arise and she lets them come. Things disappear and she lets them go." How simple it seemed! To let things go when they disappeared, with such simplicity, with such ease. This is what I began to strive for. Letting things arise and go as they came into my life and left. I feel like I've really forgotten this goal in the last few years. I've been trying to force my life in a direction. It hasn't been working. I'm no nearer to the things I desire than I was 5 years ago. But I haven't forgotten them. And I haven't forgotten what I want to be. And the truth is, the only thing that I really, truly desire is to be in harmony and at peace with the earth, and all beings. All I really want is to enjoy the sunshine and the trees and the plants and wake up every day grateful for the life that has been given to me. On the program last night about the Buddha, there was one part that really spoke to me. After the Buddha had left his wife and child behind, he learned to meditate and mastered the skills of taming his mind, because this is how holy men of the time learned to be holy. Yet he still felt sorrow, and his life goal was to get rid of this suffering, to end all heartbreak. But he didn't know how. Meditation didn't helped him with this. So he inflicted suffering upon himself. He basically tortured himself for six years trying to find a way out of his endless cycle of suffering. But this didn't help either. In fact he felt way worse and now he was on the brink of death, too. But then something happened. He sat under a tree and remembered when he was young, he saw some ants crawling along the ground. He realized, perhaps for the first time in his life, that all things are connected. Even the baby ants wondering around are a part of this great life cycle we are all a part of: even they serve a purpose in this life. They live because the world has made it possible for them to live, and they feed other animals, who in turn, feed other animals. The sun shines for us all. And at that moment, while he sat meditating, a girl came to him with a bowl of mashed rice. He accepted it, for the first time in 6 years he accepted food without necessity. In essence, he chose life. And this girl became something more than just a girl; finally he realized that this offering was the answer to his suffering: compassion. Life isn't about making yourself suffer more until you can't feel it any longer. And it isn't about your desire for something more, some other material things. Life is about here and now. Everything we need, right here, in this room. The answer to life isn't preparing for the future, or acquiring things, or becoming revered as a great or successful human being. The answer to life is these ants on the ground and the birds in the sky. It's seeing that you're a part of all life, that we are all bonded together. It's seeing someone who is starving to death, and saying, here, eat. If ever there was a goal in my life, this would be it. To be this girl, who did not know she had inspired the greatest spiritual mind of that generation to become who he was destined to be. All she knew was that clearly, he was starving, and she had food. She was able to give him some rice, and because of that, she helped give the world a great leader. This is all I want. To give something small, every day. I want to be this girl with the bowl of rice, who says, here. I see your suffering. Please, share this with me. Eat.
I've got goose bumps. Thanks, Verity!
ReplyDeleteWow! I loved reading this. And I had no idea you were buddhist-curious. Stephen is too, and has read many of the books written by buddhist monks and the Dalai Lama. He was also reading the Discourses of Buddha. I agree with much of the philosophies myself. Thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteVer-whenever I met you at Sbux in Sq Hill a few years back, I was in bad shape from a terrible break-up. I remember our conversation like it was yesterday. We sat for hours on the couch and you were so wonderful. You not only listened but you gave me great advice. At the top of the list of advice and recommendations was the Tao and the verse "Things arise and she lets them come. Things disappear and she lets them go." I was worlds away from being myself...but this really helped me to start the healing process. I feel that I am forever indebted to you for this. You were my angel then and you always will be. I love you!
ReplyDelete