We're Really in the Southwest Now
However, I did get a photo of the sky I woke up to. As always (and I don't know if I ever actually said this, but) you can click on the photo to make it larger.
So we were off to Albuquerque! We were going through Roswell on our way there. There is literally nothing happening in that town. There are a lot of aliens, like, small ones holding up signs outside of fast food places and standing at the doorway of chain restaurants, but that's about it. This is the one picture I got there. Though there was a hokey wooden cut out, painted with aliens and people greeting them on the highway. But as was my lot this entire trip, I was unable to take a photo while driving and Rachelle was asleep. So we stopped in Starbucks instead and took some photos there.
This is New Mexico. Like, all of it. It was like this for hours.
HOURS.
This was a very offensive place that we stopped at along the way. They had many signs about killing infidels and taking guns from cold dead hands and the like. Also, several offensive Native stereotypes.
But evidently the "state question" is "read or green?" which apparently refers to salsa. To which I reply, "Whichever's hottest." It varied.
Even the chips need you to choose.
Do you think this place was on Route 66?
Albuquerque! We made it to my friend Tiffani's house and relaxed for a few hours before heading out to eat in Old Town. This was a sculpture garden we walked through along the way.
Some southwestern landscaping for ya.
This was called "The History of Albuquerque." Or something like that. Don't quote me.
Part 2.
And part 3. I think shepherding was a big deal here when it was first settled.
Look at this crazy little guy!
So this is Old Town. It's very quaint and there are lots of little side roads that you turn down to go in and see the shops.
Frida Kahlo is big here.
I've never seen anything like this. You build the wall around the wooden window, or you build the window inside the hole in the wall? It's a mystery.
One of the little squares down a side street.
Cuteness!
So this is one of the original buildings in the area. It apparently belonged to a mayor or governor who had a daughter. She wanted to get married in the European style dresses of the time, but they all had chains, and so he had built a second story on his house so that she could walk down the stairs and show off her lovely chain.
A bit more information.
Lovely!
This is Ethan, Tiffani and her husband Adam's son. He's making a wish.
This is where I bought some prickly pear honey, which is delicious and super, duper sweet. It's like eating candy, and even more so because it isn't really runny. The consistency is much thicker than our honey back east.
Good lord, this horrible show.
Lots and lots of shops, mostly selling jewelry, but they had all kinds of stuff, including...
Um, worms in lollipops?
And delicious scorpions.
Hello, beautiful stars.
Hello, creepy skulls.
HELLOOOOO, BEAUTIFUL RING!! So we were admiring all these beautiful pieces of amber rings and I tried this one on and just about died of love. Isn't is gorgeous?? Have you ever seen a yellow amber like that? It's the color of butter. So Tiffany, being the wonderful friend she is, bought it for me. Isn't she so sweet? I've worn it dozens of times since then.
I loved the purple turquoise. Which sounds contradictory.
Tiffany's purchase. I mean, how awesome is that??
Rachelle's purchase. We all benefited from that ring sale.
This is the main square. Evidently they do a lights festival where they place paper bags with little tea lights in them everywhere. I saw a picture of it on a postcard that I sent to Josh.
Cute, no?
So this is the restaurant we ate at.
And these are the mexican guys hanging out on their roof.
Tiffani and Adam advise us on what is best to eat here.
We got the best table in the place. Look at how lovely the waterfall is! And it just got lovelier as the evening went on.
I got a sangria, blended with ice, which I guess is a thing here, and it was okay, but it was better when you added margarita to it, which is what Rachelle ordered.
Um. Well shoot, now I forget what this is. All I know is that it was so, so good and I was so, so happy to eat it. Cornmeal and that's spinach in the corner. Hmm. I think it's like, tamales? Probably.
Happy birthday, Tiffani!! It wasn't technically her birthday, but it was going to be in a few days. She and I went to college together and this was the first time I'd seen her in a good 15 years. So lovely to catch up!
See? Waterfall by evening.
I was really digging these wall creatures.
The place was really beautiful and old. Here is a picture of the inside, but I was grateful we got to sit outside.
Walking back through Old Town, we got to see some fun tiles in the wall.
And the square, lit up at night.
Adam had brought home cupcakes for Tiffani that night, so we all picked one and sang to her.
Mine was salted caramel chocolate.
I like this kid. He is super sweet and gentle.
I started laughing.
Rachelle got a little crazy with the photos.
But they are all so cute, I couldn't decide which one to use, so you get to see them all.
What I learned today: New Mexico has not a lot going for it in the southern part of the state. Download your map on google before you leave because you won't be getting anything like service.
On the agenda for tomorrow: Santa Fe and MEOW WOLF. OH MY GOSH, I CAN'T BELIEVE MEOW WOLF DAY IS FINALLY HERE.























































Chain? Or train?
ReplyDelete