I'm my favorite person to date.

I need a lot of time alone. If I don't get enough alone time, I start to become a very unreasonable person and snap at people for things they probably didn't do (or at least know they were doing, such as prohibiting me from having time alone).  Now, that being said, I also am a fairly social person. I like people. I like working with people. I don't like not having any friends nearby. It's a strange dichotomy that I believe is not uncommon to most writers. I know that my graduate school friends all understand what I'm talking about.

I'm complicated.

Thankfully, this weekend has been my favorite mix of alone and not alone. My parents have run off to Colonial Williamsburg for their 40th (!!) wedding anniversary, and Nina has taken the train to Philadelphia to visit her boyfriend. So I had the whole weekend, just me, alone in the house with the cats (whose company is only mildly okay). Fortunately for me, Stephanie to the rescue! She lives in Baltimore, and we find wineries between our two homes and meet there for tastings. This weekend, I had a living social deal to go to a winery in southern York county (the county next to Lancaster) for a winery tour, chocolate and wine pairing, and a souvenir glass.

We met at 1 pm, and even though I was only like a minute late, they had started the tour without us. Which was stupid, but anyway. We didn't really realize that it was going to be a group thing. The tour really only consisted of two warehouse-like rooms, and then we got to the good stuff: chocolate. I really enjoyed the chocolate and wine pairing, even though a lot of the wines they chose were dry and red, and I am much more of a sweet and white kind of girl. But it was really fun and interesting to taste the chocolate, drink some wine, taste more chocolate, and then more wine. Some of them really complimented each other, and some of them confused us. At one point, I asked Stephanie if she liked one of the wines, and she said, "I can't really tell anymore. I thought I did, but the chocolate is making it bitter." Strange, how flavors mix like that. Afterward, we enjoyed a nice lunch on the deck outside and talked until it got too cold to talk anymore. I love Stephanie, and it's so nice to have a friend! And I love that wine-tasting is our thing now.

On the other hand, I'm going on a date with myself tonight. I'm going to go out to dinner and eat at a restaurant alone, and then I'm going to either go to a movie or go to the bookstore and read. I have to pick Nina up at the train station tonight, so my date will end at a specific time, just like any other date. I really never get to do this kind of thing, and I love to. When I lived by myself in Pittsburgh during graduate school, I was my favorite person to date. And if you're not your favorite person to date, watch this. It might change your mind.


Comments

  1. I had SUCH a great time with you, too, Verity! I hope you enjoyed your alone time. Movies by yourself is kind of amazing. Until we wine again :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one lucky lady to be dating you...does that make sense? ;-)

    Yup, I looooove my alone time. It's a little tougher to find these days, but if I don't find some of it every day, I totally freak out. Although I've taken myself out to lunch, I don't think I've ever taken myself out to dinner. This is my new goal. So, thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No, it's just sad really.

30 for 30

The reality of "Twilight"