Challenge!

If any of you know my brother Josh and his high school best friend Scott, then you'll know exactly how to sing that title. Their challenges in high school were stupid dares (who could remain standing the longest after every sat down in choir, who could wear the same shirt to school the most consecutive number of days), but before one would challenge the other, he would sing, "chal-lenge!" and then they would both have to do the same dare. Boys.

But this post isn't about dares. It's about short-term goals. Last night we watched Julie and Julia, which is only an okay movie, mostly because I really don't like Meryl Streep and find Julia Child extremely difficult to listen to. But for those of you unfamiliar with this movie, it's about a girl named Julie who used to be a writer and now works a crap job in a cubicle (I can so relate). She feels like she needs to do something with her life, so in a bit of a competition with one of her not-so-much-a-friend who writes a blog, she starts her own. Her blog is about cooking her way through the Julia Child's cookbook in one year. It's like 524 recipes or something, and they're all French cuisine. As you can image, chaos ensues. But she says to her unsupportive mother at one point, "it's good for me to have short-term goals." Apparently she is fairly deadline driven, as is yours truly.

There is no way I'm going to cook all of Julia Child's 524 fatty French recipes in one year. Mostly because I haven't got the money or resources to buy crazy ingredients, I have no desire whatsoever to cook very complicated recipes every night of my life from now until the end of time, and most importantly, I'm pretty sure that about only 2 of them don't include meat. Aspics, in particular, I find abnormally disturbing. But of course that doesn't mean I can't have long term goals. I figured I would start out easy. Like blogging every day from now until the end of July. That seems reasonable. I've done it before, even, when two of my friends on MySpace, way back in the day, challenged each other to blog every day until Christmas one year (it was only like two weeks). But I jumped on that bandwagon, as did several other people. So everyone feel free to jump this bandwagon, too!

Perhaps then I think about cooking my way through a cookbook. Or at least cook all of these recipes for zucchini. Maybe I should find a bunch of cucumber recipes...

Comments

  1. This seems challenging. Or something. I might just take you up on this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No, it's just sad really.

30 for 30

The reality of "Twilight"