Moving Moment #3
Dreams have been playing a really big part in my life recently, and after the last post on family, I've been thinking about a dream I had when I was in junior high. So that brings us to...
Moving Moment #3
Dreams have always been important to me. I have some pretty profound ones. Some of them are really moving, and some of them are really vivid too. Lately I've been having a lot more of these and the meanings behind them have been on my mind a lot. I have come, in the last few months, to really appreciate these dreams, though frequently they can be unnerving and often confusing also. When my mother was pregnant with me, my father's father passed away suddenly of a stroke. Because my mother was due very soon (I was over a week late), and because we were really poor, my father couldn't make it from New York to California for the funeral. I know this was upsetting in a lot of ways because both of my parents always spoke so highly of my grandfather. They said he was the most gracious and intelligent man they'd ever met. My mother would try to come up with words he didn't know, but he knew the meaning of all of them because he'd studied Latin at Williams College in Massachusetts when he was young. I guess he was that sharp, he remembered all the Latin roots of words when he was 60. Anyway, needless to say, I never got to meet him. So when I was about 13 or 14 years old, I had a dream about being at this convention in the summertime with rows of wooden benches. My dad was there, and some guy came in. I didn't recognize him, but my dad sure did, and they were so happy to see each other, my dad and this guy. They were shaking hands and slapping each other on the back. I was kind of lost, so I just sort of stood off to the side, but he came up to me specifically. He asked me what my name was, and I said it was Verity. And he said, "So you were the one on the way." I think by this point I must have realized who he was, because I said, "Yes, that was me." And he smiled and said, "It's nice to finally meet you," and he shook my hand. I remember this really vividly, because when he smiled I thought I could see some of my dad in him, though my dad was obviously a lot younger than this man. Then my dad said that they had to go then, so he left, but I remember waking up and telling my mother about it. She said that this was not uncommon for my grandfather, that he'd come to her a few times before, and that he'd come to my father too. I'm honored that he came to visit me too. I'm sad, that I never got to meet him in real life, or get to know him (or any of my grandparents for that matter), but I figure that was the next best thing, so I'm thankful for this great memory of him.
I don't want to get my hopes up or anything, but I think spring may have come to Pennsylvania. The weather has been in the 50s and 60s this whole week, which has been quite glorious after a really horrible February.
Moving Moment #3
Dreams have always been important to me. I have some pretty profound ones. Some of them are really moving, and some of them are really vivid too. Lately I've been having a lot more of these and the meanings behind them have been on my mind a lot. I have come, in the last few months, to really appreciate these dreams, though frequently they can be unnerving and often confusing also. When my mother was pregnant with me, my father's father passed away suddenly of a stroke. Because my mother was due very soon (I was over a week late), and because we were really poor, my father couldn't make it from New York to California for the funeral. I know this was upsetting in a lot of ways because both of my parents always spoke so highly of my grandfather. They said he was the most gracious and intelligent man they'd ever met. My mother would try to come up with words he didn't know, but he knew the meaning of all of them because he'd studied Latin at Williams College in Massachusetts when he was young. I guess he was that sharp, he remembered all the Latin roots of words when he was 60. Anyway, needless to say, I never got to meet him. So when I was about 13 or 14 years old, I had a dream about being at this convention in the summertime with rows of wooden benches. My dad was there, and some guy came in. I didn't recognize him, but my dad sure did, and they were so happy to see each other, my dad and this guy. They were shaking hands and slapping each other on the back. I was kind of lost, so I just sort of stood off to the side, but he came up to me specifically. He asked me what my name was, and I said it was Verity. And he said, "So you were the one on the way." I think by this point I must have realized who he was, because I said, "Yes, that was me." And he smiled and said, "It's nice to finally meet you," and he shook my hand. I remember this really vividly, because when he smiled I thought I could see some of my dad in him, though my dad was obviously a lot younger than this man. Then my dad said that they had to go then, so he left, but I remember waking up and telling my mother about it. She said that this was not uncommon for my grandfather, that he'd come to her a few times before, and that he'd come to my father too. I'm honored that he came to visit me too. I'm sad, that I never got to meet him in real life, or get to know him (or any of my grandparents for that matter), but I figure that was the next best thing, so I'm thankful for this great memory of him.
I don't want to get my hopes up or anything, but I think spring may have come to Pennsylvania. The weather has been in the 50s and 60s this whole week, which has been quite glorious after a really horrible February.
What a lovely dream. He sounds like a great man, and I know you would have been close to him if he had lived. Gosh, I'm kind of jealous, though. My uncle comes to my dreams sometimes, but I'm still waiting for my grandparents, whom I never knew. Sometimes I feel them in the periphery, but that's all. Also, get your hopes up! I think it's Spring in the UP, too!!
ReplyDelete