Love and Other Drugs

On my way into work this morning the traffic was horrendous. I hate bad traffic because it makes me a very unforgiving person. I get mad at everything. Even the poor bus driver for not being aggressive enough. I got to work late, like 20 or 30 minutes. Scowling, I walked down 7th Avenue to my building.

As I drew nearer, I saw that there were like 70 people standing outside on the corner. And it's not a big corner. "There's Verity! Verity, hi!" I heard someone yell. I looked over and saw my boss Tricia standing on the corner with two of my co-workers.

Oh God, the building's burnt down, was my immediate reaction. But then again, Tricia looked awful happy and excited about this...

"Jake Gyllenhaal! We just saw Jake Gyllenhaal!" they exclaimed as I joined their group.

"What?" I said. "Why?"

Turns out they were filming a movie. On my street corner. What are the odds.

So I said, "Well, can I go inside?"

After I got in, totally unimpressed and mostly just bewildered, I quickly realized I was the only one who hadn't seen Mr. Gyllenhaal. Ashley also confirmed that she thought the building had burnt down at first (strange, how that was both of our first thoughts...). I laughed at her description of the sign that said something to the affect of "you might be in the movie if you're caught walking on this street," and how if we were, we would just look confused and disgruntled.

So by then, of course I had to go out again. I'm half ashamed to admit it, really, that I was so silly and celebrity-crazed. But I did go out, and I did see Jake Gyllenhaal. He's okay. I guess I was expecting him to be taller and better-looking than he was; he's really rather average. One of women in a different department, who had now joined the ever-growing group on the corner, kept saying, "That's Anne Hathaway! Right there in the coat with the curly hair!" But I swore it wasn't her. I said, "That doesn't even look like her." She replied with, "It is her, she's just really skinny."

After we gawked at Jake for a while I then decided to go get tea, since I was out anyway. I was pretty embarrassed I was going to be walking right in front of him after so obviously staring, so Tricia volunteered to come with me. She said, "Just don't look at him." Like I was too cool or something. On our way we discussed how strange it was they were filming on the corner of the triangle building, one the dingiest in town. And also that they were trying to pass it off as Chicago, hence the large number of cars with Illinois license plates lines along the street.

On our way back I tried to play it cool and not stare at Jake, but I just couldn't believe that was Anne. Seriously, it didn't even look like her. It looked more like Emily Blunt to be honest. I admit that this girl was abnormally thin, but that doesn't mean that her entire face would morph into something looking absolutely nothing like herself. Because she has probably always been pretty skinny.

As we rounded the corner to get back into our building we found ourselves quite literally in the middle of a set, and the real Anne Hathaway was walking right for us. I blatantly stared at her as we passed. Clearly the other girl was a double, as they were dressed exactly the same. I knew it wasn't her! Tricia and I had to dodge a few huge cameras and about 100 crew members on our way back in, but we did finally make it. So today the highlight was walking 3 feet from Anne Hathaway. Who is truly as beautiful in real life as she is on screen, and not as skinny as her double.

As you can imagine, we did little else for the rest of the morning. We were too distracted, and the girls on the other side of the building were just staring out their windows until the filming crew moved to a different part of the city around 12:30 pm. They shot a scene with Anne walking across the street like 14 times. Tricia, whose office is next to Sarah, heard Sarah open her window and she ran over to open hers and say, "Hi Sarah!" So at least we know we're not going to get in trouble for not getting much work done.

Ashley's favorite part were the extras who had to walk down the street across from us for the scene. Every time they were getting ready, this one guy would shake out his arms and roll his shoulders in preparation to walk down the street. Pretty cute, huh? Nicole's favorite part was a guy in a striped shirt who was trying to direct foot traffic down a back alley around the set and the people who were either just completely ignoring him or the people who stopped to yell at him.

Special thanks to Mary, who was ready to answer her phone when I wanted to call and tell someone my super exciting news. Also thanks Mare, for being just as excited as I was. And I'm sorry to Nina; I would have invited both of them to the Earl Family Thanksgiving and tempted them with tales of your marvelous cranberry sauce, but I was too shy to talk to them. Also there was a man with Anne and he looked like he meant business. Everyone look for an annoyed me on the street corner, or an infatuated me staring at Anne Hathaway as I pass her in a movie called "Love and Other Drugs," due out November 2010.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No, it's just sad really.

30 for 30

The reality of "Twilight"