Vegetarianism, Here I Come!

A couple years ago, almost exactly, actually, I went to the renaissance festival with my friend Kristie and our friend Lindsay. We all decided to have our palms read, which was an interesting experience, to say the least. She said a lot of things I didn't necessarily agree with (apparently I only have 3 siblings), though there were several things she said that I thought were very accurate (I'm mildly stubborn, as it turns out, and used to have a really terrible temper). But now that time has passed I see some of the things she was talking about coming true. For example, she said that I had a bunch of food allergies. What? I said. That's ridiculous. But then she said, well, this is later in life, and it may not be allergies, per se, but you'll become sensitive to food, you'll develop a relationship with it, and you'll be very careful about what you eat. And even two years later I can see that coming true. I tried once, in college, to be a vegetarian. I couldn't really hack it. I was so tempted by meat (chicken especially) that I ended up just giving in and having some poutine. It was the most amazing poutine I've ever had.

It's been hard for me to set a definitive date and say, yes, okay I'm becoming vegetarian NOW. But finally, after months (nay, years!), I've decided that if I don't just stop eating meat then I never will. So last Wednesday I just stopped. I haven't eaten meat in a week. So far so good. In fact, I don't even think about it. It's not even really a concern of mine. Sometimes the boys get pizza with pepperoni, and I do love pepperoni, but I think, no, I'm vegetarian now, and I don't want to eat meat. So I don't. It's as easy as that. As the years go on, I'm hoping to become even more healthy and start cutting dairy out of my diet as well, and adding more and more whole grains, vegetables, and legumes in. I think this is going to be a fairly long process. But I'm happy finally, to have control over something, to have started this journey to a better diet, and even more importantly, a better life.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

No, it's just sad really.

30 for 30

The reality of "Twilight"